Rodney B. Dieser
Rodney B. Dieser is Professor in the School of Kinesiology, Allied Health, and Human Services at the University of Northern Iowa.
He also works as a licensed mental health counselor 10-15 hours a week in a community-based agency.
His research and teaching interests include:
- cross-cultural therapeutic recreation/inclusive recreation and leisure service delivery
- leisure education programming/intervention
- inclusive recreation for people with disabilities
- historical and philosophical foundations of leisure, youth, and nonprofit human services, including Hull-House, 1889-1953
- the philanthropic and psychological nexus of musician/song writer, Bruce Springsteen
- leisure and mental health, including the psychological health consequences of leisure environments and programming at the Mayo Clinic.
Dr. Dieser has authored or co-authored five academic textbooks and has written over 70 peer-reviewed academic articles.
He has authored an additional 30 professional journal or newsletter articles, including guest opinion pieces (community engagement publications) in the Des Moines Registers and Waterloo Courier, and has made many national and international research and professional presentations.
He has published in research-based journals specific to leisure studies (e.g., Journal of Leisure Research, Leisure Science, Leisure Studies, Leisure/Loisir, Therapeutic Recreation Journal), education (e.g., Alberta Journal of Educational Research, Journal of College Student Development) and in medicine and mental health counseling (e.g., Counseling Psychology Quarterly, International Journal of Applied Positive Psychology, Mayo Clinic Proceedings).